It can be a difficult decision to put a home on the market. Balancing your family’s needs (“We need more space!”), desires (“I wish I had a hobby room!”), and future plans (“Is it time to renovate the master bathroom yet?”) certainly isn’t an exact science.
But, for homeowners looking to sell in Selinsgrove and in Central PA, things are looking up. In fact, the average time that a house is on the market is dropping. Dramatically.
According to Economists’ Outlook, a blog of the National Association of Realtors, approximately a third of Realtors in a recent survey noted that recently sold properties were on the market for less than a month when sold, and 59 percent were sold within 3 months.
Taking it one step further, the proportion of Realtors who responded that the house had been on the market for 6 months or more when sold fell to 19 percent from 26 percent a year ago.
That’s substantial progress, and worth considering if you’ve been on the fence about putting your home in Selinsgrove up for sale. There is now evidence to support that the market is strengthening and buyers are eager to close on properties in this area.
We’re Ready to List…Now What?
So now that you’re ready to list your home, how can you ensure that your home will be one of the homes that sells in the first month or three months? Over the years, we’ve sold hundreds of homes. Here are a few suggestions:
1) Price your home right – from Day 1! Do your research regarding pricing of comparable homes in your neighborhood and County, and price it right from the beginning. Negotiation is key, of course, but you also want to price your home in a way that encourages qualified prospective buyers to come take a look.
2) Promotion is key. It’s imperative to have a well-balanced marketing strategy, including: print advertising, good signage at the home and on the adjoining streets, mobile advertising, a strong online presence, and of course an expanded MLS listing with high quality photos.
3) Consider throwing in extras like a new washer and dryer or kitchen appliances. If asked, be open to negotiating on smaller items like assisting with closing costs or assisting with a partial property tax payment.
4) Clear the clutter – from the kitchen counters, from the guest room, from the office and the garage. Yes, it takes work, but you want to highlight your home’s space and storage, not the lack of space and storage!
5) Small touchups can make a huge difference. Take time to clean the windows and doors, give the living room and master bedroom a fresh and neutral coat of paint, and install new neutral carpet in the den or office. All of these cosmetic changes can make a huge impression. Nothing distracts a buyer like lime green walls or outdated and dirty carpeting.
When you’re ready to put your home on the market, give us a call. We look forward to putting our proven marketing strategies to work for you and your family, from the use of site optimization for searches to using sites to Buy Instagram followers, to improve your social media marketing and get more clients.